Cost: $$ - Preparation
Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: 2
rug·e·lach or rug·a·lach - A cookie
of cream-cheese dough spread with filling, such as jam or nuts,
and then rolled up.
1. Beat together butter or margarine and cream cheese in a
mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium to high speed for
2. Beat in 2 tablespoons honey until combined.
3. Beat or stir in flour till just combined.
4. Divide dough into four equal parts. Cover and chill for
1 to 2 hours.
5. For filling, stir together walnuts, cranberries, the 1/4
cup honey, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a
medium bowl. Set aside.
6. Line cookie sheet with foil. Spray generously with non-stick
spray coating and set aside.
7. Roll one portion of dough, on a lightly floured surface,
into a 9-inch circle. Spread one-fourth of the filling over
circle to within 1/2-inch of edge.
8. Lightly press filling into dough. Cut pastry into 12 wedges.
9. Beginning at wide end, roll up each wedge. Place rolls,
point side down, on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining
dough and filling.
10. Combine the 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Brush rolls with milk and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar
11. Bake in a 350F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or till golden.
Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool.