Cost: $ - Preparation
Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: 2
Servings: 16 servings
1. Combine cocoa, hot water and baking soda in a small bowl.
2. Let stand while mixing other ingredients.
3. Cream the shortening and sugar together in a mixing bowl,
using an electric mixer set on medium speed, until light and
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Beat in vanilla and cocoa mixture.
6. Add flour alternately with the buttermilk to creamed mixture
beating well after each addition.
7. Pour batter into 3 greased and wax paper lined 8-inch round
8. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 25 minutes or
until cakes test done.
9. Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
To assemble cake:
1. Place one cake layer on serving plate.
2. Spread with Cocoa Icing.
3. Top with second cake layer and spread a layer of frosting.
4. Top with third cake layer and frost sides and top with remaining
1. Combine butter, and chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
2. Place over hot water; stir until melted.
3. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
4. Sift confectioners' sugar into a large mixing bowl.
5. Make a well in the center and add egg white, vanilla, and
6. Pour in the chocolate mixture.
7. Blend until smooth, using an electric mixer set at medium
8. Add milk to make frosting of a spreading consistency.