1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan set over
moderate heat, melt the butter. Spoon 4 teaspoons of the melted
butter into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Blend the flour, salt, pepper
and mace into the rest of the butter and let it sit over low
heat for 1-to-2 minutes.
3. Add the milk and cream and cook the
sauce, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until it has
become thick and smooth.
4. In a well-buttered, 2-quart casserole,
alternate layers of the asparagus, eggs, Cheddar cheese and
5. Pour the cream sauce over the layers.
6. Combine the
reserved butter, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter
the topping over the layers.
7. Combine the reserved butter, bread
crumbs and Parmesan cheese and scatter the topping over the
surface of the casserole.
8. Bake the uncovered casserole for
about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping
is tipped with brown.