Thought you might want to know:
Number of physicians in the US: 700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000
Accidental deaths per physician 0.171
(U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)
Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) 1,500
Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188
Statistics are an unverified, unattributed citation, possibly from Harper's Index. I may be a little slow here, but it sounds like the American Medical Association may soon be more on the defensive than the National Rifle Association. Let's just see just how this might play out:
- "When physicians are outlawed, only the dead will have physicians."
- "Often, the best defense against surprise criminal acts is a concealed physician."
- "Preserving America's Heritage: teaching our children to die responsibly."
- "The defendant was arraigned on charges of harboring an arsenal of physicians ..."
- Doctoring the evidence: "When the suspect was frisked, officers said they found a physician on his person, but the defense strategy will show the physician was a plant designed to make the suspect look bad ..."
- "Patient's Rights ... until they pry my physician from my cold, dead fingers ..."